Saturday, February 15, 2020

I would rather have a "huh..." than a "okay..."

there might have been something that you use to say
that would have helped me, yesterday -
or today -
or now
we've talked about everything except for that
that you've not said
it's refilling or it's empty -
it's the future, or it's the future
(not in a sci-fi way)

when love merits a scallop -
a single scallop -
that is THE BEST SCALLOP

once -
a coroner inside a scallop
whose name was Scallop:
"it is flowing now..."
gelatinous, and full of eyeballs -
"uncomfortable -
flotsam, centered in the corner of the eyeball"

I didn't even notice that truck,
bed full of spider mites.
they never sleep.
Larry - their spokesperson -
came forward to set the terms,
but we're waiting, watching -
I have a venus eyetrap
that never sleeps,
hungry for flotsam

once asleep
out of dormancy comes the era of the bloomscape
on an island of snow,
but also - doom

"doom, why the bonnet?"
(the lasergun makes sense)
there go the blooms -
but...why? really -
the foliage flourishes -
the bloomscape is alive

the sound of the body -
sometimes it just sits in my mouth -
like a doll's tilted, quizzical head

I was driving home one night -
I don't remember the night.
I'm very rarely out at night at one at night
(domestic or just poor or homebody and not
actually domestic but lazy or anti-social or
just more social at home - but why?)

also, when I slept last night -
I slept in a bed of baked beans
and wore nothing but potato chips
as pants and they were lovely
pants but I bled, as in my mouth -
as in the roof of my mouth,
as can happen with potato chips -
but also apparently potato chip pants

the variegation of the heart
and non poetic serendipity
(or - happenstance?)
whatever

I think you're a real poet
if you can pull off flotsam
and not come off as trying
to be a real poet

my greatest struggle in writing is
"who cares"
but if they can't understand
then they can't not care -
right?

if you were really tiny -
like say, a bug -
you could actually probably
float on flotsam
which would only be cool
if you were a poet bug
because no one else cares about flotsam

what I would give to start -
what was I afraid of -
eternity
a bonneted laserwielding doom in the bloomscape
writing my own poetry
or just starting

No comments:

Post a Comment